Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 17: Widemouth Bay to Herdbury Quarry

Distance covered today: 14824 steps - 6.09 miles
Distance traveled so far: 97.69 miles

I'm traveling from Land's End to John O' Groats by means of Google Street View and Fitbit. In other words I have actually walked every mile I log, just in a more mundane location. This blog records the route I might have taken, if I had the luxury of taking a few months off work!


 

Before I get into the details of today's walk, I have a few announcements. Firstly I am very chuffed that Mark Moxon (whose LEJOG blog/book first inspired me to consider the walk a few years back) has included this blog in his list of end to end walks. I feel like a fraud, because whilst I am walking the distances for real, I'll never have to worry about blisters, B&Bs and backpacks. I also don't have to worry about a fixed deadline for completing the walk. That said, this will inspire me to keep this blog going. Now that I've started, I'm determined to finish!

Secondly, whilst I included a screenshot of the most direct route in my first post, I have decided to take a more roundabout route. As I just said, there is no fixed deadline, so I can afford to follow the coast around Cornwall and Devon, loop around Bath, head into Wales for the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia, then meander back between Liverpool and Manchester, take in the Lake District before heading into Scotland. In Scotland, I'll route via Loch Lomond, Glencoe the Caledonian Canal to Inverness and then approach John O'Groats via Ullapool, Durness and Thurso. Total distance should be something like 1200 miles!

Finally I noticed the miles so far seemed a little high, and found out that I can adjust the stride length for my fitbit. I have recalibrated it to match my normal daily walking speed, so should be more accurate from now on!

Heading to Bude

Starting off today by heading north along the coastline towards the seaside resort of Bude.

Heading to Bude
 

Bude

Locks over the Bude Canal, just before entering the town centre.

Bude
 

Part of the extensive beaches which give Bude its reputation amongst lovers of the seaside

Bude
 

Crossing the A39

Not far now from the river Tamar which marks the boundary between Cornwall, and the second county for my little stroll - Devon.

Crossing the A39
 

Let's call it a day

This narrow track down a narrow valley marks my final destination for today, close to Herbury quarry.

Let's call it a day
 

No comments:

Post a Comment